Monday, October 23, 2006

Hmph! Senator Martinez replied!

Greetings all!

Just to provide you an update on the contacts I made with selected legislators from throughout the United States. I'm aware of this being an election year however the crisis at Gallaudet needs immediate attention from the Federal Government.

I contacted Senator Harkin, and spoke with one of his staff member, this staff assured the message would be passed on. I provided my contact information. As of this date, I have not heard back or received a follow up.

I contacted Senator Kennedy, and spoke with one of his staff member, who appeared knowledgable about what was happening at Gallaudet, and agreed some form of intervention was needed, and agreed to pass the message onto Senator Kennedy. I provided my contact information. As of this date, I have not heard back or received a follow up.

I contacted Senator McCain, who serves on the board, and spoke with one of his staff member. Once again, I passed on my contact information. As of this date, I have not yet heard back or received a follow up.

I contacted Senator Clinton, however, I was referred to contact my own state senators in which I did.

I contacted Senator Nelson, same thing as above, no follow up as of this date.

I contacted Senator Martinez and Senator Martinez replied.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the student protests at Gallaudet University. I appreciate hearing from you and would like the opportunity to respond.

Traditionally, Gallaudet University has been the recipient of federal research funding to improve education for the deaf. However, Gallaudet is a private, nonprofit institution, and governance of the University falls under the control of its Board of Directors. As a federal legislator, it is not within my authority to intervene in the hiring decisions of private entities.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please to do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator

Share your comments, if you wish.



Unity for Gallaudet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home